Wednesday, 13 October 2010
I have (as per usual) nothing to do this evening. So I've decided to briefly discuss my job. Not specific details about them as individuals, because I don't want to get embroiled in some public scandal after my bosses find out about this WILDLY successful blog, but an overview of what it's like to be the only girl in the office.
Things I have learned by being the only girl/ only American in my office:
- I've had to get used to not being praised or thanked for doing ridiculous tasks. I used to think this was because I suck at my job, but now I tell myself it's because they're English. Though I still do have moments (ie today after my coworkers new computer malfunctioned for the 100000000th time) where I just want to scream out I went to three REALLY GOOD UNI's. Just to remind them that I'm not an idiot, despite the fact I can't accomplish things involving computers. I also want to tell our tech people that, perhaps throw in, when I was at Oxford, to let them know I'm not an idiot. I tried that kind of today (without fully reverting to the Oxford line), but the tech support guy just thought I was crazy.
- Men like to complain. Mostly about the temperature.
- They also like to talk about food a lot. This is great for me because food is one of my number one pastimes.
- The men like to call me beaut, which helps me get through my day, though they refer to most women as this.
- The banter in an all male (Plus me!) office is fantastic. Some days I hurt from laughing.
- There will always be a sport even for them to get into. I thought they would be lost after the world cup. They've moved on.
- They also don't notice my varying emotions. Or (perhaps more likely) they do and choose to ignore my varying mood changes.
- There also is a lot of fantastic singing in my office. Mostly made up tunes of varying levels of offensiveness. Loves it.
xoxoxoxoxox my man friends.