Tuesday 1 December 2009

A Very True Article

"others came up with "coping strategies" to deal with the lack of space, such as listening to music or turning their backs on fellow passengers so they would not see the crowded carriage.

Some admitted they had to psych themselves up for the "struggle to clamber on board."



In all my years (okay three) of riding the DC Metro I only encountered ridiculously crowded trains about a handful of times and only during Rush Hours. I know London is a lot bigger than DC, but as this article states, The Tube can get ridiculously crowded. As a poor Grad Student I try to avoid the Tube as much as possible, however I have definitely encountered ridiculously crowded situations on several of the times I've ridden it. The last being on Saturday when I returned from Oxford. The issue is that not only is the Tube crowded, which is not pleasant at all but the platforms are crowded. I find the crowded platforms to be the worst part. Pamela was left behind on Bonfire Night because of a crowded platform. Also, the weekend Tube work is kind of ridiculous. Can't they do night work? I don't know. I'll get over it.

1 comment:

  1. now that im a big time new york city gal (you know it), i totally get that. i have to mentally prepare myself for my morning commute, and often have to let one or two trains go by before i can fit on. new york and london are so big that crowd volume control is near impossible. though from the article it does sound like the nyc metro system is a bit more efficient/ spacious than the tube - theyre always doing maintenance work on the lines i frequent, but never at rush hour. i wish apparition was possible.

    ReplyDelete