Wednesday 21 October 2009

I just watched the most disturbing documentary on the BBC. Two journalists, who are British Muslims, posed as Pakistani immigrants on a British housing estate in Bristol and documented the abuse they suffered. It was unbelievable. Since getting here I've been reading so much about the collapse of families, feral youth, extreme anti-social behavior, etc. I mean, America certainly has a terrible racial history and massive race problems today but I just don't recall reading or hearing stories to this nature at home. And the problems on the housing estates don't just deal with race. There's the terrible story of Fiona Pilkington, who killed herself and her severely mentally disabled daughter after they had suffered years of abuse on their council estate. This story was referenced by David Cameron in his speech at the Conservative party convention. I mean, I can't think of any solution to this problem. But, I think the fact that these problems are ragging out of control can only help the Conservatives win the next election. But who knows, I'm just a confused, slightly shocked outsider.

No comments:

Post a Comment